Sunday, February 13, 2011

How Do You Get Followers On Twitter

How many followers do you have on twitter and how long did it take you to get them?

Earlier today I spoke with a new client about his problems with finding and keeping followers on Twitter.  He was frustrated because everytime he would manage to attract a few quality followers he would quickly lose them.

He had even resorted to purchasing followers from one of those companies who claim they could get him 25,000 Twitter followers for a couple hundred bucks. He had even resorted to purchasing and using some software tools, Some of which I use myself and yes...some of which could definitely get him suspended or permanently removed from Twitter.  Thankfully he couldn't figure out how to set them up and use them.

The only followers he could seem to hold onto were spammers and follow back scheme masters.  He could not manage to attract quality followers and major influencers at all.


After my discussion with him I visited his twitter account.
The first thing that struck me was his background was one of those "generic" free templates that Twitter offers.  Not a good thing!  He did however have a nice image uploaded for his picture that appears on his profile.  The next thing I looked at was his past tweets at the time of the writing of this article he had 1214 tweets ranging back three months.  When I started reviewing his past tweets I quickly realized what his major problem was with finding and keeping followers!

He was basically spamming his followers with a endless number of offers and coupons for his products.  He obviously never heard of the 95 to 5 rule.  That is 95% of the time you give information and try to be helpful and informative and 5% of the time you try to promote your products or services.

We all agree the biggest goal of Twitter Marketing is to get as many quality Twitter followers as possible in order to leverage those followers in conversation and conversion.


Twitter after all is a massive pool of people connected together either directly or indirectly, some talking, even more are listening, all communicating.


Your influence on Twitter, and therefore your power that you can wield, is determined by many things: they include the number of people that follow you, the quality of those people that follow you, and the quality of the people that follow those people who follow you.

But there's even more, your influence is determined largely by how you act, what you say, and how helpful you are.

To get twitter to really work for you it's important to have a constantly growing number of high quality followers and do the right things to positively influenced your followers.  It's important to turn as many of them as possible into evangelists, because of Twitter's viral social structure, it makes it fairly easy for anyone to build influence!  Once you have influence and continue to maintain that influence you will have the ability to use that social equity to drive your profit margin and brand recognition far beyond your competitors.

So my question is to you... how many followers do you have and how did you manage to get them? 

1 comment:

  1. My Answers:
    Q: How many followers do you have on twitter?
    A: Just one. YOU.
    _________________________
    Q. And how long did it take you to get them?
    A. 36 hours.
    _________________________
    Q. And how did you manage to get them?
    A. I was wondering the same thing. You are probably better equipped than I, to answer that.
    **************************
    My Questions:
    Q. Why is your website called Franklyns "BAY"?
    A.
    __________________________
    Q. What does the PE in PEMarketing stand for?
    A.
    __________________________
    Q. How long have you lived in Orlando? I was born there. Yes, I am the one.
    A.
    __________________________
    Q. Its not the "getting" followers that I have a problem with (I mean, I got you with no effort) What do I do with them AFTER I have gotten them?
    A.
    __________________________
    Q. What it the answer to the meaning of life?
    A.

    ReplyDelete